Ben's flatbread dough
17th Apr 20
17th Apr 20
“Here’s a simple, versatile, Italian-style dough that can be chilled or frozen to store, then shaped into a pizza-like flatbread with your choice of toppings and cooked in the oven or on the BBQ for a more wood-fired style later on.” – Exec Head Chef, Ben Johnson.
1. Place the flour into a food mixer bowl and dissolve the yeast into the warm water in a separate bowl and add olive oil.
2. Add the yeasty water to the flour and mix in the food mixer on full power for 3 mins.
3. Add the salt and mix on a medium speed for 6mins. Place in a bowl and cover and place in fridge. For the best results leave to prove for 24hrs.
4. When proved cut into quarters and roll into balls and the rest is up to you!
5. If you want to cook it from fresh, to shape the dough you’ll want to get air pockets and a light but crisp dough, so my advice would be not to use a rolling pin – it flattens and pops the air bubbles. If your dough is at room temperature, you can use your fingers to gently stretch the dough out. Once it’s about 16cm, place the disc over the tops of your hands (not palm side) and use them to stretch it further using circular motions, until it’s about 25cm. Once you’ve mastered stretching the dough out, you can experiment with other shapes: rectangles, rounds or squares all look authentic.
6. Then, add your choice of toppings – remember less is more so the base will stay crispy and the toppings will cook quicker! My favourite is super simple, classic Italian style: tinned tomatoes, olive oil and fresh basil chopped with a pinch of salt, 1 garlic clove finely chopped or crushed to make the sauce, spoon lightly over the dough leaving a few cm’s for the crust, then place mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes on top to cook in the oven. Add fresh basil leaves, a sprinkling of rocket and a drizzle of olive oil to serve.
Tip: The dough balls can be frozen and used at a later date.
If you have any cooking questions or need any help with recipes, please contact Ben @burleymanor on Instagram.
|Gold 0+ points||Platinum 2,500+ points||Black 10,000+ points|
|Exclusive members only offers|
|Complimentary upgrade at check-in (when booked direct)|
|10% off cycle hire with Forest Leisure Cycling|
|15% off hotel bar drinks from 4pm-7pm|
|Up to 50% off Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway tickets|
|Up to 30% off Beaulieu National Motor Museum tickets|
|Up to 25% off Buckler’s Hard tickets|
|Up to 33% off New Forest Wildlife Park tickets|
|Up to 25% off Marwell Zoo tickets|
|10% off lunch bill at Burley Manor and The Drift Inn (Monday - Saturday)|
|Birthday treat - complimentary fizz when you dine and room upgrade (in month of birthday and when booked direct)|
|Choice of complimentary morning newspaper|
|Early check-in and late check-out privileges|
|10% off accommodation (when booked direct)|
|1015% off Temple Spa treatments||10%||15%|
|1015% off food||10%||15%|
|15% off drink||15%|
|10% off conference & events|
*All benefits are subject to availability and terms & conditions, attraction tickets must be purchased direct with us to receive discounts